Tuesday, September 2, 2014

A Nation Seeking Happiness. :)

By Nuha Dadesh
     Undeterred by the fact that Libya has been suppressed under a dictatorship for over four decades, through six months of a revolution that is still on-going, and having its death poll rising every day, its denizens have not given up on the pursuit of happiness yet.
     I haven't experienced the days of the uprising nor more than a year of its aftermath. Therefore, when I arrived to Tripoli only a few months ago, I wasn't as tolerant about the situation in my hometown as everyone around me appeared to be. I constantly found myself criticizing and hating this country. Most of the people surrounding me persisted that I would eventually enjoy and love Libya.
     After all the drama that I have been through, I started to believe that I will never get back that sense of national pride I once had for " the free" Libya. However, as months flew by, I began to enjoy the little things, and I suddenly realized that is what every non-miserable person in Libya is doing.
     Many Libyans have gotten accustomed to the frequent power cuts, not the best Internet connection, terrible roads, horrendous school system, and lawlessness of their nation. By accustomed to,  I mean they have either came up with their own solutions for problems (the "Libyan way" as I like to call it) or try to make moments pleasurable for themselves by cracking jokes about the misfortune they are living in.
     In school, for example, my class had an educational contest with the other class, and we won! The students that participated in the competition didn't get an award nor an acknowledgement. To cheer them up, a couple of students used the classroom door as a drum and began singing, then the whole class joined in. This is just a short story that demonstrates how some people here  try to make any eventless moment exciting and enjoyable.
     Libyans have provided this world with many examples to prove that they just want to be happy. One of the best examples is the night Libya won the Africa Cup; people poured to the streets that night and celebrated. In addition, on the day of February 17, which is the day the revolution started, people also went out, carried the Libyan flags, blasted on revolutionary songs, set off fireworks, and once again celebrated! No, not because Libya is perfect and flawless. But because after all this time, we are still hopeful.
     I have to admit, dwelling in Libya sometimes makes you want to pack up everything and leave, but there is also something that just holds you back. Though, if you encounter true Libyans in the worst of times, you'll end up loving it here.
     I heard this quote once that said, " Happiness is a choice!" Living in this North African nation did indeed confirm me that it is.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment